Diet and lifestyle for Weight Gain
Many factors like genetics, metabolism and nutritional intake impact our body weight. Some people tend to gain weight soon and few gain weight very slowly as they have metabolism that do not allow too much of our energy to be stored in the form of glucose or fat. Skinny people have two options – either gain weight by munching on unhealthy foods like fries, chips and other junk or gain weight by eating healthy meals. According to experts, gradual weight gain is always advisable. If they follow some dietary and lifestyle modifications, they will gain weight slowly.
- To gain weight, eat food with extremely high caloric value.
- Try to increase your food intake without consuming too much fat and sugar.
- Never skip breakfast at any cost.
- Eat late breakfast and watch late night TV. Sleep for no more than 6 hours per night.
- You can add one extra chapatti or more rice than you normally take. Eat an extra fruit daily.
- Enjoy dinner late in night. Having healthy snacks at bedtime may help to gain weight.
- Relax after having meal.
- Eat frequently. Eat five or more meals a day.
- Chew the food thoroughly to improve digestion. Avoid excessive intake of coffee or tea immediately after consuming meals as they hinders absorption of minerals like iron. Eat foods that are fresh, organic and whole. Avoid foods that are too hot and spicy (such as food spiced with chillies, cayenne and black mustard seeds).
- Avoid ice cold food items like ice cream, iced drinks, cold and heavy desserts.
- Include the right amount of proteins to your diet. Eggs, fish, pulses, sprouts and dairy products will give you enough protein necessary to build your muscles.
- Carbohydrates are needed to gain weight but include healthier options like banana, potato, mango, whole grains and rice instead of sugar-rich foods, chocolates and other junk foods.
- Do regular exercise. It will help you gain weight by building up your muscles. Exercise can stimulate your appetite.
- Shav asana (Corpse pose), Vajra Asana (Diamond pose), Sarvang asami (Shoulder stand), Pavan Mukta Asana (Wind releasing pose), Sirsasana (Head stand) are very good yoga postures to help gain weight.
Pranayama like Kapalbhati, Deep Breathing, Anuloma Viloma (Alternate Nostril Breathing), Bhastrika are good for gaining weight.