Diet and lifestyle for Preventing Hair Loss
Hair forms a major part of our personality. Normally we shed 50 to 100 hairs daily. If there is significant loss of hair, it is emotionally painful. As age progresses, hair tend to be gradually thin. If we follow simple dietary and lifestyle changes, we can prevent hair loss, maintain healthy and lustrous hair.
- Consume a high protein and an iron rich diet.
- Consume plenty of water as it help to flush toxins from the body, which results in healthy skin, hair and nails.
- Regularly consume an adequate amount of fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables and salads in diet.
- Keep hair clean and dust free by regular washing.
- Use a natural shampoo to clean the hair. Shikakai, aloe, reetha (soapnut) and amla (Indian gooseberry) are good in conditioning the hair. Shikakai softens hair.
- Avoid combing wet hair.
- Massage with oils at least three times a week. Certain medicated oils like bhringraaj oil, Kunthala kanthi oil and Kanjunnyadi oil are very useful.
- Make a regular bowel movement daily.
- Do regular physical exercise as it is helpful in balancing the aggravated doshas. Physical activity also encourages better circulation including for your scalp.
- Rub your scalp after washing the hair as it increases the blood circulation and activates the sebaceous glands.
- Get relieved from stress (most common cause of hair loss these days) as it causes significant hair loss.
- Be sure to get enough sleep, the restorer of good health.
- To combat dryness in hairs, apply hair conditioners regularly.
- Herbs like harar (myrobalan), pomegranate, giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), ashwagandha (Winter cherry), amla (Indian gooseberry) are good for hairs.
- Herbs like harar (acacia catechu) , mulhethi (liquorice) powder are good for washing hairs.
- Regular morning walk
- Dog pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana), Sirsaasana (Headstand pose), Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand), Camel pose (Ushtrasana), Vajrasana (Diamond pose) are good yogic asanas for promoting health of hair.
Perform Pranayama daily as it enhances blood circulation in body and benefits the hairs. Anulom-vilom (Alternate Nostril Breathing), Kapalbhati (Shining Skull), Udgeeth pranayama (Om chanting), Bhastrika are very helpful.