Diet and lifestyle for Diabetes
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder and is affected by the diet and lifestyle. Don’t do over-eating but eat to control or reverse diabetes by healthy diet. According to Ayurveda, we should avoid the foods that aggravate the kapha dosha (water element) in the body.
- Include at least only one bitter dish in every meal.
- The bitter gourd is considered as the best remedy for diabetes. Consuming at least one tablespoon of bitter gourd juice daily will reduce blood sugar levels in your blood and urine.
- Powder of fenugreek (methi) seeds should be used daily in regular diet by sprinkling over the food.
- Stay hydrated. Take plenty of water while exercising because dehydration can affect blood sugar levels.
- Green vegetables such as, beans, cucumber, methi, karela (bitter gourd), onion, garlic, jambul fruit (lndian blackberry), grapes, grains like bengal gram, black gram are good for diabetes.
- Jowar (Sorghum) and bajra (millet) can be included in diet.
- Various spices like haldi (turmeric) and ajwain (carom seeds) are good to boost sugar metabolism.
- Various herbs like haritaki (myrobalan), giloy (Tinospora corifolia), amla (Indian gooseberry), nimb (lemon), bilva (Aegle marmelos), babool (Acacia nilotica), tejpatra (Cinnamomum tarnala), khadir (Acacia catechu) are beneﬁcial for diabetes.
- Avoid foods that have high sugar like rice, potato, banana, fruits containing high percentage of sugar.
- Avoid sleeping during day time.
- Quit smoking.
- Follow exercise routine daily. More we exercise; the more sugar (glucose) is used to provide energy.
- Yogic asanas are very good to improve function of pancreas like sun salutations (surya namaskar), paschimotasana (Forward seated bend), mayurasana (The peacock pose), shalabhasana (The Locust pose), halaasana (Plough Pose), ardha matsyendrasana (Half Spinal Twist), dhanurasana (bow pose), ﬁsh Pose (Matsyasana) and pawan mukta asana (Wind releasing pose).
- Pranayama like surya bhedan (Right Nostril Breathing), bahya pranayama (External breath), agnisaar kriya, kapalbhati (Shining Skull), bhastrika, uddiyana bandha (upward abdominal lock) are good to improve the function of pranayama.
- Many activities such as general housework, gardening or being on your feet for extended periods can lower your blood sugar level.
All kind of work that includes signiﬁcant physical activities are good to be done.