Diet and lifestyle for Constipation
Constipation is a condition that can cause the person suffering from it a lot of trauma. A constipation diet full of fiber and plenty of fluids may be all you need to stay regular. If we follow some dietary and lifestyle changes, it can help a lot to solve this problem. Constipation is a very common problem but, if it continues for three weeks or more, it should be treated well.
- Do not suppress the natural urge.
- Regularly evacuate bowels early morning daily.
- Avoid foods that cause irritation like spicy, bitter, dried fish, cold and astringent solids or liquids.
- Avoid over exertion.
- Don’t eat too less.
- Eat light foods in adequate quantities.
- Avoid injury.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Stay active. Follow some light exercises that enhance peristalsis. Regularly walk for 30 minutes daily.
- Never use strong purgative medicines.
- Fluid intake like soups, warm water and fruit juices should be increased.
- Warm milk with spoonful of ghee should be taken at night.
- Fibrous food like leafy vegetables, lauki (bottle gourd), tinda (baby pumpkin) fruits like dry grapes, oranges and sweet lime should be included in our diet.
- Take adequate quantities of water.
- Consume salads like cucumber, carrots, radish and papaya as it contains more fiber.
- Avoid having excess of junk foods like burgers, pizzas, chips, bread and other processed or fermented food.
- Don’t rely on processed foods as they don’t have much fiber,
- Don’t drink too much alcohol as it can dehydrate you and cause constipation.
- Take 1 teaspoon of castor oil in milk bedtime to relieve constipation.
- Triphala (contains harar (Chebulic myrobalan), bahera (Bellirica myrobalan) and Amla (Indian gooseberry) in equal quantities) is very good herbal laxative. Take 1 teaspoon of triphala with warm water or honey at bedtime.
- Don’t consume water immediately after consuming food.
- Perform regular yogic asanas like pawan mukta asana, surya namaskaar, halasana, vajrasana, bhujangasana are very beneficial.
Pranayama like bhastrika, bahya pranayama, agnisaar kriya are very good to relieve constipation.