Diet and lifestyle for Boosting Memory
A strong memory depends on the health of your brain. Keep in mind that all cells In the body need nutrients for their growth and functions. This means your brain needs food which will provide building blocks required to work right. When we have more neurons and connections within brain, it means we have a stronger memory and our mind can work better. Certain foods and lifestyle habits can deﬁnitely help your memory improve and will allow you to think with better.
- Consume healthy fats, called omega-3 fatty acids which are found in flaxseed oil, canola oil, walnuts, wheat germ, eggs.
- Consume antioxidants rich diet like blueberries, broccoli, carrots, garlic, grapes, spinach, soy, tea, tomatoes and whole grains. It protects the brain cells from damage.
- Dairy products are good for health – milk, yogurt etc.
- Seafoods, soy and eggs are best to boost the alertness.
- Hydrate Your Brain: Water. You should drink at least four liters of water each day.
- Fiber rich diet -Foods that contain a good dose of ﬁber should be included in diet. For example -Dried fruits – apricots, dates, prunes, raisins, Vegetables – broccoli, green peas, spinach, Nuts and seeds – almonds and flaxseed, Whole fruit – avocadoes, kiwi, oranges, pears and skin-on apples, Whole wheat grains – barley, brown rice, etc.
- Multivitamins can be added as a supplement.
- Drink green tea. Green tea contains powerful antioxidants which protect against free radicals that can damage brain cells.
- Lycopene protects against free radical damage to cells which is found in the development of dementia, particularly Alzheimer‘s, It is found particularly in tomatoes.
- Sweet potatoes, spinach, oranges, carrots, milk, ghee (clarified butter) and almonds are good for boosting brain power.
- Broccoli (rich source of vitamin K) enhances cognitive function and improves brainpower. Various herbs like brahmi (bacopa monnieri), Shonkh pushpi (Convolvulus plurlcaulis), Jatomansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) and Vacho (Acorus calamus) are memory enhancing herbs.
- Physical exercise increases blood circulation, supply of oxygen to your brain and reduces the risk of disorders that lead to memory loss.
- Always have good sound sleep. Sleep deprived brain can’t work at full capacity.
- Take out sometime to refresh your brain. Do more lighthearted pastimes – hanging out with friends or enjoying a funny movie. Life that’s full of friends and fun comes with cognitive benefits.
- Man is a social animal. Relationships stimulate our brains in fact, interaction with other people is a best brain exercise.
- Laughter is the best medicine for body and mind. Laughter engages multiple regions across the whole brain. Moreover, listening to Jokes and working out punch lines activates areas of the brain vital to learning and creativity.
- Keep check aver the undue stress as it harms the brain cells. One can go for meditation to ease the stress.
- Activities which involve using your hands are good for exercising your brain. Playing a musical instrument, enjoying a game of table tennis, knitting or needlework are activities that exercise the brain by challenging hand-eye coordination and creativity.
- Yogic asanas like sun salutations (surya namaskar), sarvangaasana (shoulder stand), bhujangasana (cobra pose), sirsasana (head stand) are good for boosting memory as it improves blood circulation to brain.
Pranayamas like deep breathing, anulom-vilom, bhastrika, kapalbhati, brahmri pranayama are good for brain as they enhances the supply of oxygen to brain.